TREKKING ON NAVARINO ISLAND
The Southermost Trekking at the End of the World
Southern Patagonia, Chile
From 3.150 USD
No fixed dates
Chile is a country of extremes. It extends almost 5000 kilometers from North to South while it’s average width is 180 kilometers. This strip of land is bordered by the Pacific Ocean on the West and the Andes mountain range to the East. All this together gives Chile a crazy, unique and contrasting geography. The climate, nature, culture and the people’s way of life are very different and multi-faceted depending on each region. Our trip will take us to the extreme south of Chile. From the port city of Punta Arenas we will fly to Puerto Williams, the southernmost city in the world and the capital of the Navarino Island. Here we start our trek through the “Dientes de Navarino” mountain range lasting four days. This area is located a little north of Cape Horn and is full of the magic and nostalgia of the end if the world. An excursion by kayak on the Beagle Channel and exploring the flora and fauna particular to the “Antarctic Province” complete this trip full of unique nature and wonderful trekking.
- Punta Arenas is the gateway into the Antarctic. Here scientists and nature lovers from all over the world get together. The busy street life of the historic centre invites us to explore and enjoy the streets.
- Between 30.000 and 40.000 pairs of Magellanic Penguins reproduce each year on the Magdalena Island. Here we will enjoy a magnificent natural show put on by the birds.
- The world’s most southern trekking circuit of four days around the “Dientes de Navarino” mountain range.
- We experiment the forces of nature during our intense time spent at the “end of the world”, north of Cape Horn.
- At the Ethno-Botanical Park “Omora” we will learn about the sub-antarctic ecosystem and using a magnifying glass will explore the micro world of lichen and moss.
- With kayaks we will navigate the Beagle Channel, following the old routes used by the indigenous people, the Yaghan and learn about their fascinating culture.
Level of difficulty
We offer this trip only as PRIVATE SERVICE, but not on fixed dates.
The dates for private trips are requested by the participants. In general it is not possible to add external persons to the group. If required, the itinerary can be adapted to the group´s needs and priorities.
The price depends on the number of participants, and they are based on a double room/tent.
Single Room / Tent Supplement: * 480 USD
* The extra charge for single room & tent will be done at the moment of making a reservation for the single room. If there is no other person found for sharing a room at the moment of making the reservation of a double room, we will charge half of the extra charge.
Small Group Surcharge: If the size of the group is smaller than the minimum number of participants (4 people), a small group fee will be charged. All this depends on the final number of participants.
Breathable and waterproof windbreaker jacket (Goretex or similar), Medium weight fleece pullover (Polartec or similar), Trekking trousers, Breatheable and waterproof overtrousers, Thermal underware, Trekking socks
Head & Hands
Sun hat, Woolen hat or similar with ear protection, Trekking gloves (Goretex, Windstopper or similar)
Synthetic fiber (NO down) sleeping bag (comfort zone -10ºC) with waterproof compression bag, Expedition mattress (Therm-A-Rest or similar)
Trekking boots, Light trainers, Sandals or similar for eventual river crossing
Telescopic trekking poles
Waterproof hiking gaiters, Sun glasses with 100% UV protection, Wide mouth water bottle, Thermos, Sun block factor 30+, Lip sun protector factor 30+, Pocket knife, Watch with alarm, Personal first aid kit, Expedition Duffel Bag, Head lamp with batteries & extra batteries, Day pack (30L +) with rain cover, Back pack (60L+) with rain cover, Swimwear, Towel
To guarantee maximum security, all along the trekking we always take with us VHF radios, a first aid kit and medicine for emergencies.
Besides this, we strongly recommend every participant to hire a Foreign Health insurance and an Accident insurance for South America.
Climatic conditions and other factors of force majeure can cause changes in the trip program. Responsibility and decision making in this regard rests completely and only with the SPONDYLUS guide in charge. The security of our clients, our mountain guides and the whole expedition team is our highest priority!