TREKKING IN ARAUCANIA
Hiking in the Land of Southern Volcanos
Araucania & Lake District, Southern Chile
From 3.680 USD
No fixed dates
This journey designed to enjoy hiking and nature will take us first to the National Park Altos de Lircay, where we will go on a trekking circuit that includes the ascent to the Volcano Descabezado Grande, (3.830 metres). Magic landscapes that evoke the novel “Lord of the Rings”, will be waiting for us. Our tour will take us from thick woods, wild rivers, lagoons and mountains eroded by glaciers, to hidden waterfalls and active volcanos. The view of the mighty volcano Descabezado Grande from the far distance, shows how majestic it is with its huge perimeter base of approximately 12 kilometres, and a crater diameter of almost 2 km. The climb to the summit walking on the ash fields, will reward us with impressive views over the land of the condor, a region of crystal clear rivers, waterfalls and thermal springs, primitive forests with large flocks of burrowing parakeets, and a desertlike area of white volcanic ash.
From here, we will go to the Conguillío National Park, Mapuche territory, and then to the Lake District. This region is located North of Patagonia, and its rainy forests and beautiful volcanos, make it a paradise for the lovers of outdoor activities. This part of the country is also very interesting from a cultural point of view. The area around Lake Llanquihue has a lot to offer. We will explore not only the well-known aspects of the local culture, but also about certain secrets out of the ordinary. We will go for hikes which are only known by the local people, along rivers and crystal clear streams until we get to the mountain area to the South of the Reloncaví Sound. We will see some of the few Alerce forests (Fitzroya cupressoides) that are left, with their millennial giants some of which are 4,000 years old. The descendants of the first pioneers arriving in this area still live here in their land in an absolutely autonomous way, and they are isolated from the outside world as they have done ever since. One of the highlights of this trip is the Junta Valley, which is also called the "South American Yosemite" due to its fantastic nature and its spectacular granite walls.
This trip is unique, and it has been specially designed for versatile hikers and nature lovers who not only want to reach the trekking destinations, but that would also like to experience the country and its culture. SPONDYLUS invites you to live a wonderful adventure in the land of the Southern volcanos!
- During our trekking in the National Park Altos del Lircay, we will see large flocks of burrowing parakeets.
- At the Conguillío National Park we will feel as if we have been transported back to the prehistoric past, thanks to its unique and singular landscape.
- As we climb the Volcano Nevado de Sollipulli, we will see the evidence of one of the largest volcanic eruptions in the history of the planet.
- During the hikes under the shadow of the Osorno Volcano, we will see one of the most beautiful mountain lakes in South America, Lake Todos los Santos.
- The rainy forests in the area of the Reloncaví Sound are a world full of very old trees and huge ferns.
- In the Lake District to the North of Patagonia, we will follow the tracks of the German immigrant in the XIX century.
- Numerous hikes with the observation of the unique flora & fauna of the extraordinary ecosystems of this area that will make our itinerary extremely varied.
Level of difficulty
We offer this trip only as PRIVATE SERVICE, but not on fixed dates.
The dates for private trips are requested by the participants. In general it is not possible to add external persons to the group. If required, the itinerary can be adapted to the group´s needs and priorities.
The price depends on the number of participants, and they are based on a double room/tent.
Single Room / Tent Supplement: * 680 USD
* The extra charge for single room & tent will be done at the moment of making a reservation for the single room. If there is no other person found for sharing a room at the moment of making the reservation of a double room, we will charge half of the extra charge.
Small Group Surcharge: If the size of the group is smaller than the minimum number of participants (5 people), a small group fee will be charged. All this depends on the final number of participants.
Breathable and waterproof windbreaker jacket (Goretex or similar), Medium weight fleece pullover (Polartec or similar), Trekking trousers, Breatheable and waterproof overtrousers, Thermal underware, Trekking socks
Head & Hands
Sun hat, Woolen hat or similar with ear protection, Trekking gloves (Goretex, Windstopper or similar)
Synthetic fiber (NO down) sleeping bag (comfort zone -05ºC) with waterproof compression bag, Expedition mattress (Therm-A-Rest or similar)
Trekking boots, Light trainers, Sandals or similar for the camps and river crossing
Telescopic trekking poles
Waterproof hiking gaiters, Sun glasses with 100% UV protection, Wide mouth water bottle, Thermos, Sun block factor 30+, Lip sun protector factor 30+, Pocket knife, Watch with alarm, Personal first aid kit, Expedition Duffel Bag, Head lamp with batteries & extra batteries, Day pack (30L +) with rain cover, Back pack (60L+) with rain cover, Swimwear, Towel
To guarantee maximum security, all along the trekking we always take with us VHF radios, a first aid kit and medicine for emergencies.
Besides this, we strongly recommend every participant to hire a Foreign Health insurance and an Accident insurance for South America.
Climatic conditions and other factors of force majeure can cause changes in the trip program. Responsibility and decision making in this regard rests completely and only with the SPONDYLUS guide in charge. The security of our clients, our mountain guides and the whole expedition team is our highest priority!