TREKKING – ATACAMA DESERT & UYUNI SALT FLAT
Trekking in the Highlands of the Atacama Desert
Andean Highlands, Chile & Bolivia
From 3.790 USD
The Chilean and Bolivian high plateau is a world full of natural wonders and incomparable beauty! Due to its geographic isolation, this is not a region that is easy to explore, but its singularity and magic reward each visitor. Our trip is carried out in the Atacama Desert and the little known Lípez mountain range hidden within the Bolivian Andes. SPONDYLUS has been traveling in this remote region for almost two decades and has found many hidden gems that are off the tourist track. The treks, some of them in remote areas, make this program a type of pioneer trip. Mental flexibility and an adventure spirit are a must for all participants. The nontechnical ascents of the volcanos Irruputuncu, Uturuncu and Licancabur, considered sacred by the local people and that are included in our program, offer the opportunity of experiencing the incomparable emotion of reaching a summit and not necessarily having mountain climbing experience. If we are lucky we will pass the 6000 meter mark. A special gift is without a doubt, the exploration of the Uyuni salt flat, the largest one in the world. Between heaven and earth, a wonderful, unique encounter awaits us, full of history about the ancient indigenous cultures. Discover the Atacama Desert and South Lípez together with SPONDYLUS!
- The Atacama Desert is the most arid place on Earth, but holds many hidden surprises.
- During our many treks through the Atacama Desert and the Lípez mountain range we will follow in the steps of the forefathers and their culture.
- As a nature lover, one must see and experience the Salt flat of Uyuni, the largest salt flat in the world, at least once in your lifetime.
- Observation of the unique flora and fauna that form part of an exceptional ecosystem.
- The ascent of the 3 sacred volcanoes, Irruputuncu (5080 m), Uturuncu (6020 m) and Licancabur (5916 m) They are nontechnical ascents and offer amazing views over the Chilean and Bolivian high Andean plateau.
- Laguna Colorada. It is located in the highlands of Bolivia and has an impressive red colour.
- At the geothermal field, “Sol de la Mañana”, we will feel as if we have been transported back in time to the beginning of life on planet Earth.
- The small village of San Pedro de Atacama is an international magnet for nature and cultural history enthusiasts. The busy dirt streets that make up the historic centre invite one to spend some time to explore the village.
Level of difficulty
We offer this trip on FIXED DATES, but also as PRIVATE TRIPS.
Fixed dates - Season 2021/2022
The participants can make reservations freely for fixed date trips. SPONDYLUS will define the starting /ending dates of each service.
Minimum number of participants: 5 persons
Maximum number of participants: 12 persons
If there are less than 5 participants in the group, there will be a small group extra charge.
The dates for private trips are requested by the participants. In general it is not possible to add external persons to the group. If required, the itinerary can be adapted to the group´s needs and priorities.
The price depends on the number of participants, and they are based on a double room/tent.
Single Room / Tent Supplement: * 490 USD
* The extra charge for single room & tent will be done at the moment of making a reservation for the single room. If there is no other person found for sharing a room at the moment of making the reservation of a double room, we will charge half of the extra charge.
Small Group Surcharge: If the size of the group is smaller than the minimum number of participants (5 people), a small group fee will be charged. All this depends on the final number of participants.
Warm jacket (down or synthetic fiber), Breathable windbreaker jacket (Goretex or similar), Medium weight fleece pullover (Polartec or similar), Trekking trousers, Thermal underware, Thermal trekking socks
Head & Hands
Sun hat, Woolen hat or similar with ear protection, First layer thin gloves, Trekking gloves (Goretex, Windstopper or similar)
Goose down or synthetic fiber sleeping bag (comfort zone -10ºC) with compression bag
Strong trekking boots, Light trainers, Sandals or similar for the camps and river crossing
Telescopic trekking poles
Sun glasses with 100% UV protection, Wide mouth water bottle, Thermos, Sun block factor 30+, Lip sun protector factor 30+, Pocket knife, Watch with alarm, Personal first aid kit, Expedition Duffel Bag, Head lamp with batteries & extra batteries, Back pack 30L +, Swimwear, Towel
To guarantee maximum security, all along the trekking we always take with us VHF radios, a first aid kit and medicine for emergencies.
Besides this, we strongly recommend every participant to hire a Foreign Health insurance and an Accident insurance for South America.
We know that reaching the top of a mountain is the dream of every mountaineer. This is the reason why we make our best effort to make a successful ascent possible. Due to our wide experience on climbing high mountains, we normally succeed. However, it is not possible for us to guarantee reaching the summit of any mountain, and we will never put our health at risk trying to achieve the goal. The security of our clients, our mountain guides and the whole expedition team is our highest priority!