TREKKING IN SAN PEDRO DE ATACAMA
Experience the Atacama desert - off the beaten track
Atacama Desert, San Pedro de Atacama, Northern Chile
From 1.990 USD
The Atacama Desert is the driest region in the world but this fact can be deceiving. The desert holds many secrets and incredible surprises. The high plateau in the vicinity of the desert oasis of San Pedro de Atacama is a world full of natural wonders and a fascinating beauty. The objective of our trip is to explore the physiognomy of the region, only known by a few. We will walk in surprising landscapes and set up our camps beneath a star studded night sky at the feet of giant sacred volcanos. From our contact with the local population we will learn about their history, culture and mythology of this land immersed in the Andes. The ascents of Cerro Soquete and the active Lascar volcano that are included in our program, are technically easy. These climbs offer the opportunity to experience the incomparable emotion of summiting a 5000 m peak also for those who do not have a vast high altitude mountain experience. SPONDYLUS invites you to live a marvelous adventure in the heart of the Atacama Desert. Between heaven and Earth, you have a unique date with the past and the ancient indigenous cultures.
- The small oasis of San Pedro de Atacama is an international magnet for nature, culture and outdoor lovers. The busy dirt streets that make up the historic centre invite one to spend some time to explore the village.
- Excursion to the incomparable lakes Miscanti and Miñiques in the Andean high plateau.
- Fantastic camp sites below the world’s most beautiful star studded night sky.
- Visit of El Tatio, the world’s highest geyser field.
- Ascent of two non-technical volcanos, Cerro Soquete (5.408 m) and the active Lascar (5.595 m).
- Enjoy a bath in the thermal waters of the Puritama warm springs.
- Archaeology, tradition and history of the Atacameño culture.
- Walks and treks in the unique nature of the Atacama Desert.
Level of difficulty
We offer this trip on FIXED DATES, but also as PRIVATE TRIPS.
Fixed dates - Season 2021/2022
The participants can make reservations freely for fixed date trips. SPONDYLUS will define the starting /ending dates of each service.
Minimum number of participants: 5 persons
Maximum number of participants: 12 persons
If there are less than 5 participants in the group, there will be a small group extra charge.
The dates for private trips are requested by the participants. In general it is not possible to add external persons to the group. If required, the itinerary can be adapted to the group´s needs and priorities.
The price depends on the number of participants, and they are based on a double room/tent.
Single Room / Tent Supplement: * 180 USD
* The extra charge for single room & tent will be done at the moment of making a reservation for the single room. If there is no other person found for sharing a room at the moment of making the reservation of a double room, we will charge half of the extra charge.
Small Group Surcharge: If the size of the group is smaller than the minimum number of participants (4 people), a small group fee will be charged. All this depends on the final number of participants.
Light and warm jacket (down or synthetic fiber), Breathable windbreaker jacket (Goretex or similar), Medium weight fleece pullover (Polartec or similar), Trekking trousers, Thermal underware, Thermal trekking socks
Head & Hands
Sun hat, Woolen hat or similar with ear protection, First layer thin gloves, Trekking gloves (Goretex, Windstopper or similar)
Goose down or synthetic fiber sleeping bag (comfort zone -10ºC) with compression bag
Strong trekking boots, Light trainers, Sandals or similar for river crossing
Telescopic trekking poles
Sun glasses with 100% UV protection, Wide mouth water bottle, Thermos, Sun block factor 30+, Lip sun protector factor 30+, Pocket knife, Watch with alarm, Personal first aid kit, Expedition Duffel Bag, Head lamp with batteries & extra batteries, Back pack 30L +, Swimwear, Towel
To guarantee maximum security, all along the trekking we always take with us VHF radios, a first aid kit and medicine for emergencies.
Besides this, we strongly recommend every participant to hire a Foreign Health insurance and an Accident insurance for South America.
We know that reaching the top of a mountain is the dream of every mountaineer. This is the reason why we make our best effort to make a successful ascent possible. Due to our wide experience on climbing high mountains, we normally succeed. However, it is not possible for us to guarantee reaching the summit of any mountain, and we will never put our health at risk trying to achieve the goal. The security of our clients, our mountain guides and the whole expedition team is our highest priority!