Trekking in the Highlands of the Atacama Desert
Atacama Desert, Andean High Plateau, Northern Chile
From 2.270 USD
We invite you to participate on a fantastic journey, trekking the high plateau (altiplano) of the North of Chile. Snowcapped volcanos, deep canyons of igneous rock, thermal waters and abundant native fauna will be awaiting for us in their natural environment. From the coast town of Iquique, our trip will take us due East directly up into the Andes. Here we will do wonderful hikes, and will tour some of the most beautiful national parks in the whole country, including National Park Lauca, one of the most singular natural reserves on the planet, located in the shadow of the fantastic Parinacota Volcano, which elevates 6342 metres up into the sky and majestically dominates the landscape. This region is one of the greatest natural treasures of Chile. The non-technical ascents of Mount Guane Guane (5.097 m) and Cerro Rojo (5.340 m) included in this program, are special gifts for any mountain lover. Witness life in the high plateau of the Andes, far away from civilization and very close to the sky.
- In Humberstone, a ghost town, we will travel back in time to the era of the saltpeter mines.
- Fantastic camp sites in the Andean high mountain landscape of the North of Chile, under the clearest star studded sky on earth.
- Unforgettable hikes in the surroundings of the Huasco & Surire salt flats.
- Visit 4 national parks and natural reserves: Salar de Huasco, Isluga, Las Vicuñas & Lauca.
- Observation of the unique flora & fauna of the Surire Salt Flat and the Andean highland.
- Non-technical ascents of Cerro Rojo (5.340 m) & Mount Guane Guane (5.097 m).
- Relaxing thermal waters on the shores of the Surire Salt Flat.
- Visit of Lake Chungará, one of the highest lakes in the world.
- Traditions and history of the Aymara culture.
- End of the expedition in the attractive coastal city of Arica, located in the extreme North of Chile.
Level of difficulty
We offer this trip on FIXED DATES, but also as PRIVATE TRIPS.
Fixed dates - Season 2021/2022
The participants can make reservations freely for fixed date trips. SPONDYLUS will define the starting /ending dates of each service.
Minimum number of participants: 5 persons
Maximum number of participants: 12 persons
If there are less than 5 participants in the group, there will be a small group extra charge.
The dates for private trips are requested by the participants. In general it is not possible to add external persons to the group. If required, the itinerary can be adapted to the group´s needs and priorities.
The price depends on the number of participants, and they are based on a double room/tent.
Single Room / Tent Supplement: * 160 USD
* The extra charge for single room & tent will be done at the moment of making a reservation for the single room. If there is no other person found for sharing a room at the moment of making the reservation of a double room, we will charge half of the extra charge.
Small Group Surcharge: If the size of the group is smaller than the minimum number of participants (5 people), a small group fee will be charged. All this depends on the final number of participants.
Warm jacket (down or synthetic fiber), Breathable windbreaker jacket (Goretex or similar), Medium weight fleece pullover (Polartec or similar), Trekking trousers, Thermal underware, Thermal trekking socks
Head & Hands
Sun hat, Woolen hat or similar with ear protection, First layer thin gloves, Trekking gloves (Goretex, Windstopper or similar)
Goose down or synthetic fiber sleeping bag (comfort zone -10ºC) with compression bag
Strong trekking boots, Light trainers, Sandals or similar for the camps
Telescopic trekking poles
Sun glasses with 100% UV protection, Wide mouth water bottle, Thermos, Sun block factor 30+, Lip sun protector factor 30+, Pocket knife, Watch with alarm, Personal first aid kit, Expedition Duffel Bag, Head lamp with batteries & extra batteries, Back pack 30L +, Swimwear, Towel
To guarantee maximum security, all along the trekking we always take with us VHF radios, a first aid kit and medicine for emergencies.
Besides this, we strongly recommend every participant to hire a Foreign Health insurance and an Accident insurance for South America.
We know that reaching the top of a mountain is the dream of every mountaineer. This is the reason why we make our best effort to make a successful ascent possible. Due to our wide experience on climbing high mountains, we normally succeed. However, it is not possible for us to guarantee reaching the summit of any mountain, and we will never put our health at risk trying to achieve the goal. The security of our clients, our mountain guides and the whole expedition team is our highest priority!